paisleyheader

thrifted :: spool display :: before & after

Thursday, November 19, 2009 18:25

5_thursday

hold on to your seat! i’m about to reveal my all time favorite thrifty finds before & after project! i’m hoping you’re as thrilled about it as i am. this project has been in my head for the last year or so and i’m so excited that it’s finally complete!

a little back-story. i started collecting spools about 8 years ago or so. i loved them for their vintage qualities as well as their vibrant colors. my collection has grown quite a bit over the years and the large apothecary type jars i was displaying them in were overflowing. i needed a new way to display them that would also allow for more growth. (because, well, you never know when you’ll find another great spool!) the following idea was born….

thrifted :: before & after

i spent my summer thrifting wooden boxes and/or display pieces. all different shapes and sizes. i then took them all and coated them in nice bright white to match the trim in our house. this process took me more hours that i can count. all the little nooks and crannies in those boxes was enough to drive me mad! but, i did it. i laid them out on the floor to determine the layout for the wall.

thrifted :: before & after

after lots of measuring and leveling, this is what i had. (there is a shelf missing in the lower left corner that was still drying when i took this photo).

thrifted :: before & after

then came the fun part! laying out all my spools and arranging them by color.

thrifted :: before & after

these are just some of my spools. i still have more, but only used my most favorite in this project. i knew i wanted to arrange the spools by color but didn’t want it to look too much like a rainbow so i started out with blue and worked from there.

thrifted :: before & after

after 8 years of collecting spools and a summer of collecting the right display pieces, here is the final result. it is so exciting to see my idea a reality. what’s even better is that it looks like i envisioned it. sometimes i get ideas in my head but then when i finish it, it’s nothing like i thought it would be. i think this might be even better than i imagined!

thrifted :: before & after

a close-up of the lower left shelf.

thrifted :: before & after

the bench in this photo is another thrifty find from this summer. i love how it’s so old and obviously vintage, but has such clean and modern lines. the epitome of my style. modern vintage. the suitcase underneath is also a thrifty find. one of my favorite finds at only $2!

thrifted :: before & after

this project is in our front entry hall. it’s the first thing people see when they come in the front door, and the first thing i see when i come down the stairs in the morning. i don’t think i can look at it without smiling. those bright and cheery colors just put an instant perma-grin on my face.

i hope you enjoy my thrifty hallway!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

11 Responses to “thrifted :: spool display :: before & after”

1. Cristina Martins says:

April 30th, 2010 at 11:33 am

That's great!
    You have an amazing blog, Lori!
    Just have one question:
    How do you clean all these?
    ;o)

2. Mallory - Miss Malaprop says:

July 7th, 2010 at 8:47 pm

That looks so beautiful! I LOVE white mixed with lots of color, and I love the way this project came together!

3. lori says:

July 7th, 2010 at 8:56 pm

thanks so much mallory! appreciate the comment!

4. ania @ papercutworks says:

July 8th, 2010 at 3:34 am

That’s such an original idea & so beautifully implemented. Lovely!

5. Amber Kane says:

July 20th, 2010 at 9:48 am

Great idea, I am a weaver so am a huge lover of yarn. What better than to use yarn and thread as decoration!

6. Mandi Coulter says:

August 27th, 2010 at 7:52 pm

it looks fantastic! i would love to do something like that in my sewing room 🙂

7. Mandi Coulter says:

August 28th, 2010 at 9:33 am

we have posted about your display here! thank you 🙂

8. Spools done right. « Knittybutton says:

August 28th, 2010 at 12:26 pm

[…] done right. By Ali Tong This girl has been collecting awesome spools for over 8 […]

9. joyce says:

December 8th, 2010 at 10:32 am

Really great. I got here via Stumble and I have the same passion for all sewing ephemera. Just this fall I also acquired the slat wash tub stand that rests beneath your fabulous spool display. What a find! Thanks for your photos, I really enjoyed the visit.

10. Lexi says:

January 9th, 2011 at 1:51 am

Hi there!

I thought I’d let you know I featured this post on my blog!

11. Retróses e linhas // solução para guardar e decorar « Dona Cheirosa Sabonetes e Presentes Artesanais says:

September 5th, 2011 at 9:59 pm

[…] nisso, Lori, do blog Paisley Wallpaper, que coleciona linhas há 10 anos, resolveu seu problema de armazenagem de forma criativa e […]